11 September 2008

Journey to the top..Mt Kinabalu

Last month, on the 29th of August, I set foot once again in Kinabalu Park, Ranau, after an 11 years lapse. I was off..off to conquer Mt Kinabalu again, for only the second time in my life. It was kindda a very last minute arrangement I only made up my mind less than a week before the trip. Clearly, I was not really in the right frame of mind to climb, and I can say I was less than 50% ready..physically & mentally.

Knowing so well that it’s not very often to get hold of this ‘golden opportunity’, I rescheduled my flight (I suppose to fly back to KK on the 30th) to 29th, did a last minute shopping for all my climbing gears, packed my things and..holla..!! I am all ready.. (not really, I forgot the head lamp huhu..)

To cut a long story short, here some photos to serve as my trail log (click picture to enlarge).


29th August 2008

Geoffery, Remy & me..minutes after landed at KK T2 airport. It was already near 8pm. We were fetched by Remy's sister (and her friend). Bought some 'refreshments' at Kingfisher before they drove us straight away to Kinabalu Park.


We reached Kinabalu Park at 10pm and merged up with the rest of the group. We were welcome with a very nice BBQ meals which we happily accepted with an 'open stomach' hahaha.. Except for Geo & Remy, the rest were all 'new friends' to me. My first time meeting them. But that was not a problem, because in no time we were all eating, drinking, exchanging stories & laughing together as though we’ve known each other for so long. It was that easy if you have a bunch of sporting people.



We stay in Liwagu Lodge on the first night. The lodge was not that bad at all..


30th August 2008

I received my tag and I am all excited!!
I can't remember receiving such tag the last time i climbed.



In jovial mood.. at Timpohon Gate. All the best guys..



Almost half way to reach Laban Rata. There was a Korean guy who fell down on his way to summit. He was brought down in a stretcher by a group of rescuer for further treatment.I hope he is all fine and get well soon.



It was raining for few minutes when we about to reach Pondok Layang-Layang. But apart from that, the weather has been very kind to us for the better part of our journey.



Breathtaking view. I was in no rush to reach Laban Rata as I took time to cherish every moment and steps of my journey.


31st August 2008

Hopefully the sumptuos buffet dinner we had the night before will provide enuff energy for the climb to the summit. All the best to you and me..hehe.



My happy...and freezing face at the peak



Not even in my wildest dream did think of celebrating Merdeka on top of Mt Kinabalu haha..



We spent a good half an hour at the top before descending back to Laban Rata.
Can be seen in the picture, me and our guide.




I feel so small..even for the 2nd time, the view, the peace, the coldness up there still amaze me..i was speechless i almost cry..huhuhu.



Awesome! Amazing! Perfect..!!



Enjoying the coldness at Sayat-sayat. And yes..that the BBKK shirt i was wearing hahaha..'kewl' wasn't it?



Again, enjoying every moment & every steps on our way down. The scenery was simply breathtaking..



After breakfast, took a group picture at Laban Rata. So sad it's about time to leave.



After another two and a half hours journey, we reached Kinabalu Park around 11.30am. Had a simple 'certificate presentation' ceremony before i left for Keningau.


Overall, the trip was very enjoyable & fantastic if I shud say. I was having a great time. To all my group members, a million thanks for inviting me to join the trip. You guys are wonderful and I am looking forward to climb together again. To all my dear friends out there, appreciate if you can ‘buzz’ me if there is such a trip you guys are organizing..i will be more than happy to join (if the time is right hehe..).

Till then, I leave you with a song.. “Tinggi tinggi gunung Kinabalu..Tinggi lagi sayang sama kamu..Biru-biru hujung Kinabalu, tengok dari jauh..Hati saya RINDU..” (Yang lain kamu sambung lah sendiri hahaha..)

23 comments:

BuDakHutaN said...

wah... lama sudah siatidak naik gunung kinabalu neh..last time...dlm tahun... 2002...wades...

Kay Stanford Jr Kastum said...

Man! I must do! Must go!

GuRaNgAk said...

BudakHutan: Bah, nanti ada peluang kita naik lagi..Insyallah :)

Kay: Yeah man..u must..Must go! Nanti lari tu gunung.. :p

kuai said...

wah.. ngam2 merdeka kamu pigi o.. best ni..

bah, we (with few friends) planning a trip to climb the Mt. Kinabalu.. before end of this year or awal taun.. everyone is welcome (1st come 1st serve for 'really' budget expenses). kalo telampau ramai buli buat next trip lagi.. sa kunun naik sampai 5 kali uda.. tapi sampai puncak 1 kali sija.. huhuhu.. but always enjoyed that time! mcm addicted ni.. lol

and we're happy if there any 'first time meet' will join.. :D

Anonymous said...

Wah kau ni.. enjoy saja oh. Jealous!! >.<

GuRaNgAk said...

Hi Kuai. Wah, 5 kali sdh ko pi gunung ah..dahsyat. At least u reach the top once la kan hehe.

Regarding ur trip, kalau this year mmg x dpt join tu. Christmas is cuming aha aha.. :). Thnx for inviting ya..See how nxt year la.

GuRaNgAk said...

Cindy, bah nanti kita sama² lah p enjoy² naik guning k. Your brother tu pun mcm ada plan mau pigi tu. The more the merrier :)

CJane said...

Sia sudah naik gunung K loh.. But I wanna naik lagi lah! Si Kay belum pernah naik lagi tu.. but ada plan mo naik konon. Nanti sia jogging dulu lah, mo training! :P

Anonymous said...

Eh, tersalah post comment with my other ID. LOL!

-Gina G- said...

yer..jeles ooo, Kay, organise lah! but sa target dpt sampai air terjun di kaki bukit ja ni kekekeke

GuRaNgAk said...

Cindy: Hebat ko kan..duluan naik dari ur brother hehe..

Gina: Yeay, dont go chasing WATERFALL..hehehe :p

Kay Stanford Jr Kastum said...

I have a friend who will be doing it on 28th march 2009. Ada kaki?

DrKong said...

sa jeles kamurang Ngak. Naik gunung kali keberapa sudah nie?

CJane said...

Who is this "friend" of yours, Kay? Si Morgan ka??

PS: Sorry boss Gurangak, your comment box jadi tempat berforum lak. :P

Kay Stanford Jr Kastum said...

No. A tenant also staying in the same condo area I lived. I happened to gave him DrIzad's website. He said can join his group also..

GuRaNgAk said...

Kong: Apa mo jeles bro..anytime ba buli naik tu..Dkt ja dari kg kita tu hehe. Di New Zealand pun bnyk gunung tu ko buli naik :p

Kay: Wah, end March nxt year ka? Mcm smpt lagi mau training ni kan :p Bah, let's go la ramai². Leave it to u to organize. Malu taw kalau ko kalah sama Cindy hehehe.. :p

Cindy: Walang problemo baitu..this is the place to borak²..as long as the topic is still relevant..Gunung Kinabalu. Kalaw 'gunung' lain bahaya sdh tu.. Oppss :p

LeoFantasia a.k.a LEO said...

deymmmm...!!! i remember my time conquer the peak on 1999 and 2001...

carolchs said...

aihhh...naik gunung? brapa bayar skrg ah? limpas 150 jg kah?

sa pun dr awal tahun lg bilang2 mo pi naik lagi...teda jadi2. teda geng bah.

kuai said...

ur welcome..:D

mcm tak kan lari gunung digusa-gusa..:D

Masnah Abdul Hamid said...

rindunya mau balik...:(

Unknown said...

Siuknya naik masa merdeka kn ngak..

GuRaNgAk said...

Haha, mmg siok naik gunung di Hari Merdeka.. Tu la ko x percaya masa sy bgtaw ko :D

Unknown said...

P'caya ba hahaha ;p..